Tuesday 22 January 2013

Conegliano - veggie tales

Those who know me will be amused, even puzzled, by today's images as I'm not a big eater of salad vegetables. Here in Conegliano (a small city in the Veneto region north of Venice) and surrounding towns "Radiccho is King" at this time of the year. Radicchio comes in many shapes, colours and sizes, most of which are unknown to us. Radicchio di Treviso is the prestige variety. It is served sliced like coleslaw or whole looking like a tray of little octopus marinated in oil, salt and peppercorns. Towns have tastings, exhibitions and even "radicchio week"! We have had radicchio served to us at most meals (except breakfast) and we see people eating it in cafes in the towns we visit. I tasted some to be polite but it didn't win me over , so I'll stick to my old favourites.

PS Egidia , our host and friend, shook her head in disbelief and said I must be the only person in Treviso province not eating and enjoying radicchio at the moment.









No comments:

Post a Comment